Springtime Dangers for Dogs

As you spend time with your dog outdoors in the warmer months, there are many items you may come into contact with that can be dangerous to your pup. Some of these are: 

Toxic plants – many common plants are toxic to dogs such as azaleas, rhododendron, nightshade, and oleander.  For more information, see the ASPCA’s Toxic Plant list.

Rat poison – this is highly toxic to pets.  Keep all rodent poisons well out of reach of your pets and consider alternative methods to deal with rodent problems. 

Snail bait (see rat poison)

Cocoa mulch – this is a by-product of chocolate production and can cause a similar toxic reaction as chocolate does to your dog.

Fertilizer – keep all fertilizers out of reach of your pets.  Consider using non-toxic pet safe options whenever possible.

Death Cap

Wild mushrooms (especially the Death Cap) – it is difficult to distinguish toxic from non-toxic wild mushrooms so it is best to not allow pets to eat any mushrooms you find outdoors.

Snakes – there are poisonous snakes in our area.  Keep your dog near you when hiking in areas snakes are known to be found. 

While there are symptoms that are specific to each toxin, the most common are:

  • abdominal pain
  • vomiting 
  • diarrhea
  • drooling
  • lethargy
  • difficulty breathing
  • irregular heartbeat
  • convulsions

If you believe your pet has been exposed to a toxic substance, immediately contact your vet, emergency vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for advice.

Just a little caution can make for a carefree spring into summer!

Comments are closed.